Thursday, September 19, 2019

Prototype

I was wondering if I could combine Oregon Trail with zombies in an action oriented RPG with some comical storyline. Take Zombie Guard, and place characters on a moving vehicle, on their way to some place during the apocalypse while blasting away. It has multiplayer potential.

Some inspiration for mechanics came from Swamp Attack, zOMGies 2, and theme ideas came from movies like Zombieland and others.

Zombieland (2009)

zOMGies 2

Swamp Attack


But this essentially becomes two games in one - action, and strategic resource management. I would have to please both crowds. Players who want action don't want to conserve ammo, and players who want to manage resources may not be fond of the action.

I created a prototype for this anyways. But I was not really feeling it. These ideas can work, but it does not suit me well.

Prototype

I will at least keep the projectile system, which utilizes many powerful Unity components. I'm having fun extending it with bitwise flags for other behavior like seeking, piercing, bouncing, splitting, etc. So, now I consider just creating an arcade shooter, focusing heavily on projectiles and perhaps some gun crafting system for ridiculous weapons.

No comments: