Tuesday, September 24, 2019

90s style vector art on an 80s style TV

A simple background, with different camera filters applied. I tend to prefer the filters, to prevent the game from looking too much like a Flash game that uses vector art. I tend to like the imperfections and stylized look. Plus I get to spend less effort with all the lines and shading for the scene objects. It is very difficult to paint imperfections on the floor without making the game look too busy and cluttered.

80s TV Filter + Hue Shift

Arcade Filter + Hue Shift

Original

That kitchen consists of individual pieces, which can all be rearranged. This got me considering having semi-procedurally generated backgrounds, with many areas to explore. Still, I must remind myself to stay true to my objective of just creating an arcade style shooter that focuses on the weapons and action.

There could be ammo and money inside objects, like looting areas in the Fallout series and The Last Stand: Union City:


Even spare parts to craft and augment guns? Funny objects to use as bullets? It is a zombie game, so it should not take itself too seriously. I want to be playful and less restrictive with design decisions.

No comments: