Friday, June 24, 2011

Tower defense characters

Progress on the new tower defense game for mobile devices is going okay. I draw and animate at least one character a day because I'm going to need about 20-25 of them. I started with very sophisticated animations, but then I cut way back so that each character only has at most six frames of animation. Animation is probably my least favorite activity working for myself, but it's growing on me.

The top row are the heroes, and the bottom row are the evil creatures. I actually have no idea what the second green guy is supposed to be. I'll probably replace the horns with large ears to turn him into an armed gremlin. There are no other views for these characters - they mirror horizontally and that's it. This means their primary hand will switch, but I am totally fine with it.

I'm still considering ways in which I can easily balance the game with confidence. This game is not written in Flash, so it's not like I can send out a URL to get some massive feedback. I suppose that would be one strong advantage of using Unity, since an app can be embedded into a browser. Again, I tried Adobe's Flash packager for iPhone, but it was incredibly slow and lacked features.

I'll be honest, I'm not really feeling this game as much as I did with my previous two. But, probably once I hit alpha and drop some good music and audio in, everything will just fall into place. I already have plans for my next project, which will probably be an experimental Facebook game.

No comments: